Monday, July 11, 2011

The Brigade

Went to Blue Lake to pick up Kevin; also to listen to the String Quartet perform Kevin (and the other composition students) pieces.

I’m biased, I thought Kevin’s was one of the two or three best….it certainly was one of the only upbeat tunes out there.  I’m not sure why he named this piece The Brigade; I’ve asked him twice, he has no reason, other than he only had an hour to come up with a title and well, that’s it.

Click on the photo for the video….

New Picture (9)

I guess he’s a true composer, he complained about the performance on the way home (the cello didn’t play the part right, why did they have to stop (I edited that out) to turn pages, etc.).  I think he’s pretty happy with it though….I keep encouraging him to ask his friends at school to perform it so that he can get a version of it that he likes, but doubt that will ever happen.

The other interesting part of camp this year was his ‘minor’ class – learning a new instrument.  He tried the brass instruments, he’s found that his lips are too big for a trumpet, but, seemed to like the trombone a lot, and has discovered that he can hum and whistle at the same time, which, apparently, allows him to make more advanced trombone noises.  Don’t think this will go anywhere, but, who knows?