Monday, April 26, 2010

What I’m reading

New Picture (15)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid:  Christopher, Matthew, and myself are through the first two books and will be starting Book 3 soon.  We went to the movie and I thought it was really well done….captured the embarrassment of middle school perfectly.

image The Weird School series:  There are 18 books in this series; we’re in the middle of our 2nd one right now (we are reading the book shown above).  When we read we typically read a page each…Christopher has been interested enough in the book that he’s asked to read more than his page.  The continuing adventures of three boys at Ella Mentry school.  They consistently refer to the cafeteria as the vomitorium….Christopher, when he is reading, never says vomitorium, and always says cafeteria.

image

The Malazan Book of the Fallen:  This is just a Scott thing; would love to get Kevin reading some of these fantasy series but he’s been pretty clear that he’s not too interested in the orcs and elfs and dwarf books.  Simply put, the best fantasy series I’ve ever read.  Currently rereading it; this is book 4….Book Nine came out a few months back and I won’t read it until I get through rereading up to that point.  I like the series so much because I can reread it and understand things in the books that I never understood (or didn’t understand the proper context of) the first time. 

image 

Harry Potter:  Suzanne and I have been reading this to Christopher; he’s completely swept up in it.  We are about 5 chapters from the end, so, should finish by the end of this week.  Suzanne has never read the series or really watched the movies, so, it’s been a good time for her as well (even though she’s behind right now and needs to do some serious reading in Book 2 to catch up to me and Christopher).  I was using my evil-He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named voice at the of Sorcerer’s Stone and Christopher asked me to read normally because I was scaring him   :)