Thursday, April 8, 2010

First draft

Kevin has an opportunity to earn a scholarship for part of the Blue Lake funds because of his participation in the Mason Youth Symphony.  So, his spring break task has been to get the essay in shape.  He’ll also have to interview and perform for the committee. 

The first draft of the essay wasn’t all that great…he had the ideas there, but, the execution was lacking.  Glad we’re doing it though, I like helping Kevin with his writing (don’t use the word ‘awesome’….dude!) and I’m sure this is the first of what will be many essays needed in the future.

Hidden in his first draft (it was the third paragraph) was this….I’ve told him that it should be his first paragraph, and also told him that I thought it was really well done.  There’s some editing left to do (don’t think that the word ‘melodious’ will make the final cut, for example) but it’s a really good start.

“Music is important to me because it expresses feelings. It can express sadness, joy, anger, and more. I like how music can add a whole new dimension to something like a movie scene. Music, to me, is another way to see the world, and that’s why I like it so much. Nothing else is capable of provoking as much emotion and feeling as music can. That’s why I play the viola. I like being able to play music and express different feelings through different songs. I like playing harmonies in orchestras and intertwining different notes with other musicians to create one grand piece. Playing viola brings me the pleasure of creating melodious sounds that can express true feeling. “