Thursday, November 24, 2011

Vegas – Day 1: Flying Out

The usual try-and-get-work-done-and-try-and-get-everything-house-related-settled-rush before we head out occurs; we pick up the boys from school around noon and head east to Flint for the first of the flights at around 2.

Things are pretty uneventful until we get to Detroit

 2011-11-18-MatthewDTW

Matthew at Gate 28; waiting for the plane to Vegas.  He’s writing in his journal here…that journal is page after page on how-to-fish and where-he-wants-to-fish and types-of-fish-he-wants-to-catch.

I may be forced into taking up fishing as a serious hobby……

2011-11-18-MatthewFifa

When he wasn’t writing; he was playing FIFA soccer on my Iphone….

2011-11-18-MomCpherDTW

Mom on the Iphone, Matthew on the Ipad.  You’ll notice Kevin isn’t here….

The flight is delayed; they make an announcement that it will be about an hour, so Kevin asks if he can go get some hot chocolate. 

Of course, they announce 20 minutes later that the problem is fixed and we can continue to board.  No Kevin.   Call Kevin; no answer.  Call him again, no answer.  Call him 13 times, no answer.

Turns out he didn’t take his phone with him.

I go down in the direction he went; no Kevin.  Reach the end of the terminal in that direction.  No Kevin.  Jog back……and get a text as I’m two gates away that he’s back….he decided to take the tram to another part of the airport and walk back from there.

We are the next to last people to board (they too, had part of their party leave upon hearing the one hour announcement and were hurrying to get back).  I’m out of breath, and Kevin is in the doghouse for not having his phone with him.

Flight was uneventful; I was in the back with Fric and Frac because…….

New Picture (3)

It looks like I’m about one flight (four segments) away from getting Gold status next year…..there is the chance that I’ll get one more work trip, but, I think Suzanne and I are in agreement that if there is not a work trip that we’ll be finding the cheapest four segment flight we can to make sure I have Gold status again next year….the benefits, especially these Suzanne-upgrades, are worth it.