Friday, October 17, 2014

From The Sports Desk – PR Edition

Monday was the Greater Lansing Jr. Cross Country Championship…or some long name like that.  The last cross country meet of the year.

Had been encouraging the boys to try and catch the kids in front of them.  Happy to report that this meet was the PR (personal record) for each of them.

2014-10-CpherGreaterLansing01

The best thing about this photo?  I’ve never seen Cpher running with this other kid before.  He really stepped up and ran flat out for 2 miles..

2014-10-CpherGreaterLansing02

A little later….he’s pulling away from that kid and passing a lot of other kids.   I commented to the friend I was watching the race with that I hadn’t seen Cpher with any of these kids when he ran and, in fact, noticed the kids he usually runs near were way behind him.  Thought that might mean a dramatic change in his time….

New Picture (4)

That’s just short of 2 minutes faster than anything he’s pulled off this year.  It was so much faster that it caught me off guard; I though I would have time to walk back to see him finish…turns out I almost missed it because he ran so much faster than he usually does.

 2014-10-MatthewGreaterLansing01

Was a little surprised by when I saw Matthew….his friends Parker and Greg were way ahead of him.   Not sure why he didn’t take it out faster or why they decided to start so fast….

2014-10-MatthewGreaterLansing02

But I yelled out to him when he came back “Go and catch Greg!!!”….

New Picture (5)

Mission Accomplished.  Barely!  That time is still about 30 seconds faster than anything he’s pulled off this year. 

Both boys seem intent on continuing to run some through the winter and open to practicing with the high school team this summer.  We will see….