Friday, January 6, 2012

Itunes Match (or not to match….)

Figured I’d take the plunge and sign up for the Itunes Match service.  What’s that you ask?  Here’s the abridged skinny….For $25/year you can take your Itunes Library and match it up online (or upload what doesn’t match)….at that point you can access it from other devices under the same account (in my case, my phone, and the boys Itouches).  Basically, your music is saved and replicated just about anywhere.

There are some drawbacks….they are pretty major drawbacks right now but hope that they will end in happiness and more functionality later

  • The biggest problem is that the service has a 25,000 song limit right now.  My library is at 52K songs…..to even started this I had to remove a lot of music.  I figure that, eventually, this limit will go up, but even right now it would be nice for Kevin to have access to my Beatles albums or even for Fric and Frac to have access to music that Kevin has purchased
  • It’s taken a long time to match up / upload my 25K songs.  Started Sunday…finally finished last night.  I think it matched up about 21K of the songs and I had to upload about 4K….
  • The matching process hasn’t gone quite as planned…..for example, I have two artists now….’The Beatles’ and ‘The Beatles’….I’m not sure why.  I’ll play around tonight and see if I can change the tags to resolve this issue and just have one ‘Beatles’ directory.  But that’s a pain…..and I noticed I have more than a few artists like this……

Figured I’d give it a month and see if it made sense to keep going down this road…..if not, call Apple and drop the service and hopefully get a refund.