Saturday, December 24, 2011

Holidays in the south

Not much to report here over the last week; headed south after the sports were through last weekend.  Made it all the way to Bowling Green before calling it a night, and then finished up the drive on Sunday.  Drive was pretty uneventful; resisted the urge to let the freshly-minted driver take the wheel….mainly because I wanted to make good time and that wasn’t going to happen if Kevin wasn’t speeding; and the last thing that needs to happen right now is for Kevin to collect a ticket.  The drive always amazes me….I do 79-80 through four states and I feel like I’m pushing it; I hit Alabama and I feel like I’m going slow….

We’ve been down in Niceville in December and it’s been cold…..this year it hasn’t been very sunny, but, it’s been warm, highs in the 60s and 70s.  Fric and Frac have been in the pool almost every day (once the initial heater problems were resolved) and it’s been a good time.  Spent two afternoons playing mini-golf and go-karting:  Kevin may me taller than me; he may be a Quordy-champion….I can still kick his butt at mini-golf.  Go-Karts were a lot of fun…..Matthew is now tall enough to drive so that changes the whole dynamic of the go-karting. 

There are double-karts and single-karts.  And even though I typically would be in the double-kart with Matthew (and the heaviest kart out there); the double-kart is over-powered and we still would be the fastest kart out there….and make it easy to keep ahead of Kevin.

Well, now that we’re all in single-karts that dynamic is gone…..my fat ass slows my cart way down.  You start in single-file….the first time we went off Cpher and Kevin were so far ahead I had no hope of catching them and could barely catch Matthew and trade paint and bumping with him for a little bit.  The second time we switched it up….Cpher first, Matthew second, me third, Kevin last.  My whole goal in this race….keep Kevin from passing me.

We start, and I come off the gas and make him rear-end me, once, twice, again, and I’m laughing the whole time……he swings out to try and pass me and I cut him off and force him into the bumpers……I make it to the corner and force him wide as I take the turn and stay ahead.  He keeps swinging wide, I keep riding him wide and slow down unexpectedly and make him ram me again and again. 

There’s a hill on this course, though, and my fat ass slows my cart down too much.  The first time up the hill I’m ahead and maintain the lead and hit the corner at the end of the ‘run’ in front……lap 2 and we’re about even but I’m on the inside and still hit the corner on the inside and frustrate Kevin again.  The third time….well, he’s ahead and uses my tricks against me and rams me into the bumper and says ‘so long’ as he motors off to try and catch the other two (who I at least have allowed to build a decent lead)…..

Christmas tomorrow….head for Hilton Head next Tuesday.