Monday, March 17, 2014

Thief!

A depressing day of soccer down in Wixom (lost 3-1 and 4-1 to a U13 team) turned even worse when Suzanne made that “hey, where’d my phone go?” gesture we’ve all made at one point or another.  Walk up to the office in the building, no one has turned it in.  Go back to Suzanne’s Ipad (she had brought both…thought she might be doing some cruise-surfing with our friends) and fire up the Find My Iphone app.  And there’s her Iphone, heading south on Wixom Road.

Call the phone, no answer (of course!)

Activate the Find My Iphone ‘ring’…..and whomever had it just turns the phone off.  Last trace we have of it is on I-96 heading east.  Damn.

So, go to the next step on the App…activate the lock & track feature.  The phone can now only call one number (mine!) and will display a message (our typed message was “You stole this phone.  You are being tracked.  Call now and this can end nicely.”)

So, about 45 minutes later, my phone rings.  It’s Suzanne’s phone!  Everyone around in the stands (including the one dad who is a police officer) is amazed….

Some boy is at the other end…..he ‘found’ it and then didn’t turn it in at the office because “they were in a hurry”.   Said I could come and get the phone…yeah, it’s 45 minutes east in Pontiac

Photo: The current location of Suzanne's Iphone after some young jerk 'found' it at Wixom today and instead of turning it in at the office (because he was in a 'hurry') took it home with him to Pontiac.  Kudos to the Apple lock and track feature, which at least spooked him and his family into calling and saying they have it.  We'll see if they fedex it back as promised.

I’m unwilling to travel that-a-way to get the phone…I agree to give them a fedex label via email and they will ship it back.  Tried to talk to the Dad, he doesn’t speak English(!).  Have a phone number, and email address (which is firstnamelastname@gmail.com) and well, we’ll see.

Get a call Sunday night from the mom(?).  Says she is sorry, the boy ‘found’ it.  I say that’s a pretty charitable term…it was ‘found’ until he walked past the office out the door, at that point it became ‘stolen’.  Says they don’t have a printer to print the fedex label; can I come down to Pontiac?….I suggest that there are about a thousand places with printers; schools, libraries, etc and if I have to come down to Pontiac (90+ minutes at least) to get the phone then I’m certainly going to find the time to file a report with the police too while I’m there.

Monday morning I’m a little calmer…if I have to drive down to Pontiac Monday night I will…I’d rather have the $600 phone back before anything else.  But I call the number at about 4 pm and get my little english-speaking friend again who tells me, yup, his Dad dropped the phone in an envelope at fedex this morning.

New Picture (11)

Will be happy to have the phone show up tomorrow and this saga come to an end!