Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The 2014 Edition of the Annual Charting of Progress

Decided to get the physicals out of the way early this summer instead of later.  Anytime after April 1 works for the sports physical requirement for sports.  Both boys requested to go with each other again.  As I type this, I don’t know why I continue to be stupid and do this…..there was so much silliness in the examination room it wasn’t even funny.  I mean, I guess it was funny, I could post the six second video I have of Matthew mooning me with the hospital gown on.  And the nurse and doctor both found it amusing I guess….but it grew old quickly for me.

Anyway, onto the charts!

 2014-06-CpherHeight

Tumbling back towards the chart?  I actually think this is more of a reflection that the boys seem to be later to the growth spurt than their peers…..there are more a lot of kids on Cpher’s team with deeper voices.  Cpher is not one of them; doctor estimates about halfway through puberty…and most of the boys growing occurs at the end of puberty, not the beginning.

 2014-06-CpherWeight

Not.  Good.  More on this after the next chart.   I have asked Cpher to weigh himself every Monday and this was the confirmation that he hasn’t been reporting the number on the scale. 

2014-06-CpherBMI

The other part of the weight problem.  Heading over the 95% mark on BMI earned Cpher a trip for some blood work…don’t have those results yet.  But, like the shot at the physical, getting the blood drawn was a major production in protest and pain.   Just amazing a kid his size can act this way about it….

Anyway,  about the poundage.  He’s going to have to work at it (and we’ve instituted a pretty good exercise program for him, and me, and Matthew) and as long as the blood work doesn’t show anything alarming the doctor isn’t too alarmed…it is common to bulk up a little before growing, and she, after talking a little about Kevin’s height, said, “Oh, he is going way past him”.   We’ve taken up writing down what food we eat (I do this with Fitbit anyway)….I think it will help Cpher to focus on what he consumes (because he can pack it away at times!).   Plan on posting this chart again at the end of August to see where we are at…..as I told Cpher, the worst part about this is he just finished coming off of two sports with lots of running….he will be hard pressed to hit that level of physical exercise during the summer without putting in some serious time and effort.

 2014-06-MatthewHeight

Six years of measurements exactly on the chart, gone!  Maybe this dip, and Cpher’s, is because of a change in measurement at the doctor’s office?  Who knows?

 2014-06-MatthewWeight

I think, if we had taken a bunch of measurements between the last two measurements you would see a little spike in Matthew’s weight away from the curve where he has always been.  By his own admission, falling out of shape resulted in some bulking up in late winter……he has worked hard in lax and soccer and you can see the change in him on the field.  Better yet, he can see the change, and is pretty motivated right now to continue.

2014-06-MatthewBMI

Not much to report here.

As I said, both boys are tracking what they eat and made some goals for themselves, both weight and fitness related.  Should be an interesting post in August to see where we have ended up!