Sunday, September 14, 2008

A little rain never hurt anyone

Soccer season kicked off with a full slate of games, none of which went quite like they should have.

Christopher: The second grade team, after one practice, started off the weekend with a 9 am game in Haslett. It started raining in mid-Michigan around 8 pm Friday, and, it hasn't stopped yet (Sunday at 4 pm). Was wondering if the other coach would want to cancel, left for the game with Christopher a little early, get to the game, and the other coach is already there. So, we're going to play.

10 minutes until game time....only 2 kids from our team have shown up. Begin to make calls...the first one is home, to tell Suzanne to get Matthew dressed and have him come out. I understand that this one call made Matthew's entire weekend. "It's my lucky day!" he announced. Begin to call other players...one father told me "It's raining cats and dogs" (I'm standing outside in it...I know this) and I realize I'm not going to see that kid. Of a roster of 11, I only had 6 to start the game and when Matthew and one other kid arrived, we made it to 8. First quarter didn't go so well....had to have Christopher in goal (I had worked with 4 kids at the first practice on being goalie...only 1 of that group showed up) and there wasn't another kid who stepped forward to really dribble the ball forward. Combine that with some shaky goaltending choices by Christopher and we were down 3-0.



But, after getting Christopher out of goal, and getting Matthew out onto the field as well, we carried the ball into the other half of the field a lot more and played a scoreless tie the rest of the game.



When I first saw this photo, I thought that Matthew had headed it out of bounds (and didn't remember that from the game...). Turns out there's a teammate throwing the ball inbounds.

Suzanne, while holding on to her umbrella, took some video with her camera (the video camera stays home in the rain...so does Kevin!).



Kevin: Went out and, through distinctly heavier rain, helped out the 7/8 team. Played goalie in the 1st half. I think Kevin would agree, the less said about this game the better. He played OK, but, nobody on that team played well.

Matthew: Was crushed to find out Saturday night that his Sunday games were cancelled.