Friday, November 12, 2010

Acronyms

Two different stories to relate about two different three-letter acronyms.

ACT:  Kevin took the ACT test again in early October; we completely whiffed on doing it last year (had to cancel twice due to activities) and wanted to see where he was at AND see if he had the scores so that he could skip a year of English next year.

So, off he went.  This year he took the +Writing part of the test…he wrote an essay and we don’t have the scores on that yet.  But…we did get the scores for the rest of the test early this week. 

I’ve noticed a few more visitors to the blog recently that I don’t know where they are from; so, I’ll keep the score-reporting comments in general terms.  His composite score jumped 4 points with large improvements in math and science.  He max’d out one section of the reading test (the subscores range from 2-18; he hit 18) on social studies/science.  Had a decrease in the other subsection of reading (from 17-15) that we are gently joking with him about….not sure how he went backwards, but, what the hey.  Suzanne found a site that reported 25% and 75% scores for incoming students at the Big Ten schools….Kevin was over the 75% score for all but 2 of the schools (Northwestern and Michigan).

TSA:  In hindsight, I’ll know to look a little closer at my boarding pass the next time I’m heading towards security.  Apparently, the airline can randomly select certain individuals for secondary screening; those they choose have some initials printed on their boarding passes and when you present the pass and your license the nice men and women with the uniforms point out that hey, you’re special, and you are going to have all of your carry-ons inspected and you are going to get a pat down.

Happy happy joy joy.

Having had to receive pat downs in the past on a random basis I’d like to report that this pat down was much more, um, intimate.  I wonder if it really needed to be that ‘tight’; really, you have to touch my neck?  Everything comes out of the carry-on (hah!  that’s Puerto Rico mud on those boots buddies!…..TSA scurries to get a sample for their machine).

10-minute delay and I’m done, but, next time, if I see those initials, I’m going to see if I can reprint the boarding passes and make it go away!