Thursday, January 16, 2014

From The Sports Desk – Dad(!) in sports!?!

Cpher:  Two games last weekend; a win against Eaton Rapids, 39-34 to start the day.  Still not very enthused with Cpher’s effort during this game and my texts to Suzanne indicate that, well, I wasn’t very happy with what he was doing

“Losing 9-4 after 1.  Cpher with two points but still seems like he could be more active”

“Losing 19-18 at the half.  Still wish he were more active.  So does his coach; getting talked to about it”

“When you play like you don’t care what happens….sigh”

2014-01-CpherBballIonia01

(I don’t know what exactly led up to this picture, but, I do know he has no shot at getting a rebound here….and that’s the way it went)

2014-01-CpherBballIonia02

(we played in the Auxiliary Gym at Chippewa….really cramped, but, like this picture with him running with the mural in the background)

They play back to back and get leveled by Ionia in the second game 62-39.  We were tired, they were good….wasn’t very close.  Early in the first quarter the boy isn’t even really running down the court and I yell, very loudly, “RUNNNN!”…..and magically things are a lot better.  Holds his own on defense (he was up against a guy as big as Kevin….just huge) and scored 6 or 8 points overall).  Practice this week has been a wakeup call for him; a lot of drills and running and he’s been tired.  It is all good……

2014-01-CpherBballIonia03

(sometimes it is not your day)

Kevin:  Has wanted to play racquetball and went, with me, on Sunday, to have his first chance at it before we begin play in the racquetball league we signed up for.  Talking to Kevin on the way inside, he says “I hope I can beat you by the end of the leagues”.  I say “I hope you don’t beat me tonight!”

I haven’t played racquetball in six years.  My 18-year old tennis guy is faster, taller, etc.   Genuinely concerned that this could be ugly.

Turns out I shouldn’t have been…..Kevin can’t return my serve at all (and I don’t have a fast serve, I just loft it back into the corner…but it can be tricky) and I win 15-4, 15-5, 15-4.   Post on facebook to crow about my victory, because, as I said out there, I have no idea how long it will last….

Dad:  Played my first league game tonight (Kevin is off in Grand Rapids for All-State Orchestra).  Won my first match 14-15, 15-10, 15-4.  I was just dying after the first game, cramped up, couldn’t catch my breath, but, steadily just put the other guy (I’m gong to guess he is maybe 6-10 years older than me….but he hadn’t played in a year either) away.