Saturday, January 29, 2011

Polish

So, you see the title….did you think

a) this post refers to a young man of Eastern European descent?

or

b) something that you might do a table, or a musical piece?

We’re talking about the second definition, where my part-Polish son was reintroduced to the concept of polishing his musical pieces so that his work is of the highest quality. 

You can see Kevin’s performance at the District Solo & Ensemble Festival if you click on the link.  The piece should sound familiar, it’s the very-famous Bach Suite #1 (transcribed for viola). 

You can see the judge’s comments here.  I taped them (to her dismay) so that Kevin’s private instructor could hear them first-hand, not second hand.  The sum total is the familiar story….you have talent, but, you need to take the time to master the piece and get all you can out of it. 

Kevin did achieve the highest rating (a ‘1’) for his performance (you may not believe that after hearing the judge’s critique….someone had told Kevin before he went in that she was ‘nice’; I don’t think she as mean, but both Kevin and I thought there was no chance he would get a ‘1’…..).  This means, I think, that he qualifies for the State Solo & Ensemble Festival. 

Of course, as we’re walking out, Kevin tells me that he wants to learn a new piece for that event (in a month or two).  I’m adamant that my Polish son will polish the Bach towards perfection……

Sports Update:  Christopher’s team won by almost 30…..if you enter third graders in a fourth grade league, you get what you deserve.  He did prove he’s a true center though, he had more fouls (4) than he had points (3).  The fouls I knew were coming, he’s been talking and talking in practice about fouling back if he got fouled and ‘voila!”, there they are.  Hope this was a good lesson.  His points were a made bucket (on a foul!) and him making the free-throw for the three point play in the first quarter.

I have mucho-video of Matthew and will post that later!  They lost, but, I refuse to call the game he is playing basketball anymore..it’s basket-rugby.