Friday, January 7, 2011

Things

  • Matthew’s first soccer practice was this week; as expected, the team is going to be split into two teams.  As stated before, I think this is nothing but good for Matthew.  I do sympathize with some of the other parents who are going to have their children move away from the better players, but, it will give those kids more of a chance to shine and play and I think that has to be viewed as a positive.  We had a parent meeting afterwards and I asked the white elephant question….”when are you going to choose who is on which team?”.  Not that I had any concerns, but, couldn’t believe nobody else was asking. I guess the nice thing about asking was it earned me a call from the coach afterwards….he was very nice and said a lot of nice things about Matthew….really happy with how he’s playing, definitely in the upper group, and they strongly considered moving him and one other boy up an age level before they added enough players to split the team at this level.    So that’s all good.
  • I am not rooting for the Colts this weekend; if they win, they play the Steelers.  I’ve already made it clear in that situation that my youngest better prepare to go watch that game up the street….he’s *not* going to be allowed to watch it here!
  • It’s another book report weekend for Christopher…..a lot of this can happen on powerpoint so that should make it easier.  He’s still seeing the tutor twice a week.
  • Had a little fun with Kevin this week (he has regained his table tennis title, sadly).  Kevin received an iHome as a present; his old iDock wouldn’t handle his new iPhone and we wanted him to have something that would amplify his alarm since he was having difficulty waking up for it.  So, on Monday, at 6 am, I’m waiting to hear Kevin rousting about…..nothing.  Go down, he’s zonked with 2 cats, and Holly jumps up and wakes him up as I get him up and ask what happened?  6 pm it all becomes clear as his alarm goes off…..      Tuesday, 6 am, no Kevin.  Same story.  Tuesday night, Mom and Dad are getting on Kevin….come on, can’t you set a clock?  Lot’s of excuses (there’s no am or pm sign!), lots of bluster, we finally ask “why didn’t you just set your phone for the alarm?”…..”Oooooooh….”.   The rest of this week has gone well……
  • One last story….we had 'misplaced’ the rubric for the book report amidst the Christmas chaos, so, Christopher knew that he had to ask for another copy on Monday.  He comes home, tells me hid so, and says that he told his teacher that “the paper was underneath a paper towel that had a grilled cheese sandwich and the dogs reached up onto the counter and ate it…”.   So, we have a long talk about why he felt like he had to make up a story and I asked him not to do that again.  Talk to the teacher later this week and apologize….she says 1) she believed him and 2) it was the very first time a student had used the phrase ‘a dog ate my homework’ with her.