Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mid Week Musings

  • Working out of the car and at Buffalo Wild Wings while I wait for Kevin after his first day of All-State rehearsals.  I let him drive here (Grand Rapids) from home; our first trip on the the Interstate.  He did fine except for not being able to keep a constant speed, but, that was to be expected.
  • Musical tryouts are next week; you can hear Kevin singing and practicing if you cock an ear towards the basement….I don’t expect much here, he’s a freshman, he’s not in choir, so, I feel he’s destined for a role in the general chorus.  We’ll see…
  • I don’t think I’ve mentioned that part of Kevin’s viola lessons are some instruction on music theory…he’s progressed to the point that he’s composed a piece (a waltz) in five parts (2 violins, a viola, a cello, and a bass).  I need to install his music software on this computer to figure out how to have the computer play the music and get a sound file of it.  He’s hoping to submit the piece and be accepted into Blue Lake’s new composition program…..
  • In the mail the other day was the generic announcement from the school that our fourth grader was going to start receiving some sex ed content soon…..don’t know if I’m ready for Christopher to get this.  I anticipate a lot of follow-up as he brings home questions……
  • I think I’ve mentioned that Matthew’s basketball practices and soccer practices are at the exact same time and it’s a problem.  I think we’ve come to a resolution; he’s asked to come along to Christopher’s practice.  He holds his own in the drills and I think it’s good for him to be practicing with the bigger (and better) boys…..
  • Speaking of the last practice; they had a drill where each kid had nine fouls shots…..no one made nine, no one made eight, the good guard made 7 and I’m just shocked that the next best kid was Christopher at six!  Matthew, for reference, made only three.  Christopher is enjoying being able to tell his brother “I’m better than you at basketball….” and a little of that is ok, given how soccer has been for so long. 
  • Itunes Library crashed….Ugh!  That’s several hours of reloading the music and movies into the library; hate when that happens!