Saturday, August 27, 2011

Trip to Florida

The last hurrah of summer; a low-key(?….we’ll see…) week in Orlando.  I promised that I would take a few pictures on the trip down to do a blog post, and in that regard, had something happen that I can’t recall ever happening on a flight I’ve been on before. 

 2011-08-Trip01

At Flint’s airport; approximately 6:30 am.  Love that Flint is a convenient option and has cheap flights; do not love that sometimes those cheap flights mean 5 am wake up calls….

2011-08-Trip02

As you can see, Cpher’s not a big fan of them either.  Matthew and his best friend; the Itouch.  Battery was gone by the time we hit Atlanta….

 2011-08-Trip03

Left Flint on time, arrived at Atlanta early and the Captain gets on the intercom, says, well, because we’re early and he knows there are a lot of kids on board, he would like to offer the opportunity for the kids to get a cockpit tour.  A) it’s damned rare to be early now-a-days, and B) I’ve never had this happen on a flight I’ve been on.

Christopher is interested, but, kind of have to talk Matthew into it…..I just don’t think they understand how unique this kind of opportunity is….

 2011-08-Trip04

And I give full points to the Captain here….he had them both sit down, he had them hit a button that sounded a ‘stall’ alarm, he had Matthew advance the throttle to give the plane more power to get out of the stall….

 2011-08-Trip05

I forget what he had Christopher do; I know the lights were flashing…I think Cpher is using the throttle here as well…..

For the record, they are in a MD-88 cockpit.

 2011-08-Trip06

Fric and Frac getting ready to head to Orlando.  I ended up moving over and sitting in the aisle when the woman who was scheduled to sit in the window next to the boys.  Have to figure she liked that upgrade; on an aisle with a middle open next to her while I was dealing with Fric and Frac.

Mom?  Took my 1st class upgrade and was sipping vodka cranberries in seat 5D!

2011-08-Trip07

I’ve said it before, and will say it again; this timeshare is worth it for the moments when the kids walk into the room and go “Wow, this is awesome!”……this resort (Cypress Harbor) we hadn’t been to before, and had this big jacuzzi tub. 

After swimming yesterday afternoon the boys filled up the tub and went for it….there was water everywhere!