Wednesday, January 16, 2013

New Jersey – Day Something Something

 

So, what’s a typical day like? I think Suzanne would like to believe it’s a party at night while she is busily getting homework done and boys to practice and dogs doing dog things…..

But I am boring. Very boring.

6:30 am – 7:15 am Get up. Rarely as early as 6:30 am. Rarely as late as 7:15. But 6:30 is the first alarm…..and when I grab the phone and ‘check-in’ via text. Have to do this every morning; if you are late they start calling…if you don’t answer it will escalate to the police checking on you at the hotel.

Somewhere before 7:30 am. Eat breakfast. The Courtyard offers free breakfast for F-EMA workers, so, I’ve been taking advantage of that. Made to order, 2 eggs over easy, sausage, potatoes, sourdough toast. Eat better breakfasts here than I do 99.5% of the time

8 am. At work. Until 6 pm. ½ hour lunch. Unlike other assignments, I am office-bound 95% of the time. They have a cafeteria on premises; I have a vow not to eat lunch there unless truly desperate….would rather run out to one of the deli’s nearby. Usually one ‘hero’ will last me two meals, whether that’s a dinner or the next lunch varies from day to day.

6 to 6:30 pm. Get back to the hotel, and, most nights, get my leftovers down to the microwave in the lobby, heat them up, and come back to the room. Goal, sadly, is to be back for the NBC news at 6:30 pm. Unless there is some sporting event on, this is usually the only ‘network’ TV I will watch on any given night.

Somewhere after 7 pm. If it’s Monday or Tuesday, it probably means I have some video to watch, so, plug the computer into the TV, turn up the sound, create a Windows Media Player playlist and away we go.

7:30 to 8:30 or 9:30 pm. Go back to computer and accomplish whatever enviro work from back in Michigan that I need to keep up with while out here in NJ. If there isn’t a lot of work, consider blogging. Or, as a last resort, Hawaii research (I have been prompted to do more of this…..)

10:30 – 11:30 pm. Read. Go to bed. Been trying to reunite with my CPAP machine after a separation; have never had a lot of success with that thing and it has been about the same as normal. Hotel walls are very thin, so, that can be an issue some evenings.