Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Indianapolis

 

This is my third visit to Indianapolis in the last four months; I’ll be back one more time in two weeks.  I took some pictures as I was walking around during the last visit so I figured I’d throw them out here.

2013-10-Indy01

Downtown is definitely set up for walking…..there are a lot of sights and restaurants within a 2 mile radius.  This is looking northwest along the White River (talk about your slow moving rivers…I don’t think I’ve seen any current anytime I have walked along it).  That’s IUPUI over there on the right….

2013-10-Indy02

Nice paths on both sides of the river…the zoo is on the other side of this big wall.

2013-10-Indy03

Looking back at downtown Indy.

2013-10-Indy04

Starting at about my hotel and running through most of downtown is the canal walk.  The headquarters of the NCAA is right near my hotel as well…you can see one of their buildings on the left here.

2013-10-Indy05

They put in a lot of murals for the Super Bowl…this picture came out better than I thought since there wasn’t a lot of light under the underpass)

2013-10-Indy06

Looking back towards downtown from the end of the canal walk to the north.  There were a couple places to rent paddleboats and kayaks during the summer.

2013-10-Indy07

A waterfall at the north end….saw more than a few kids getting their senior pictures done at various spots along the walk.

2013-10-Indy08

The USS Indianapolis memorial(?)…..

2013-10-Indy09

I guess you wouldn’t talk about it on a memorial like this, but, the ship sinking is really only half the story of the ship sinking.  The Navy didn’t know of the sinking for four days and the deaths from sharks/exposure/drowning made this the worst loss of life at sea in the history of the US Navy.

2013-10-Indy10

The Capitol

2013-10-Indy11

What is with every state and city in the Midwest trying to claim any portion of Abraham Lincoln’s heritage that they can?   I guess a teen-aged AL spent some time in Indiana….