Saturday, May 31, 2008

Michigan Mile

Saturday morning was the Michigan mile; we've been going to the Mile for many many years. The Mile is the culmination of the "Feelin' Good Mileage Club" program that runs at lunchtime at the elementary schools in the area. Christopher, and, to a lesser extent, Matthew (because he's not full-time) have been participating in the lunch time running, and this morning is the chance to run a mile that begins in Oldsmobile Park (the Lansing Lugnuts stadium) and ends there. This is the first year that Christopher and Matthew could run the full mile, so, a big day.

Kevin, on a related note, has been running miles at gym trying to qualify for the "Chieftan Challenge". Apparently you need a 6:24 mile to qualify; Kevin's final two attempts were 6:30 and 6:28, so, he just barely missed it. But, the Michigan Mile accepts participants up to 13, so, Kevin signed up for the Mile as well.

The event starts with the older age groups first, so, Kevin started at 9 am. He finished in 6:01 (from experience, we know it's not a full mile, it's close though.....) and was about the 12th or 13th in the 12 and 13 age group.



Christopher was next up in the Age 7 group. We had decided that I would run with Christopher and that Kevin would run with Matthew. Seemed to be a good decision, we expected Christopher would take it slow, and well, we're well aware of Matthew's disposition in these type of events. So, we line up, get ready, go, and Christopher goes sprinting away from the start.....he's going, and going, and I catch up to him, and he's still sprinting, and sprinting......and I'm too big and can't keep up. Sadly, this was one outcome we hadn't discussed with Christopher beforehand, so, he was really confused at the end and finally came back up to the top and met up with me. A very sad and confused little boy at the reunion point. Never, in a million years, would I have thought Christopher was going to take off like that, but, I learned my lesson. Alas, no video of Christopher, because it was too hard for Mom to pick him out.

The Age 6 group started while I was picking up Christopher at the 'meeting' spot; we talked (he told me how sad he was, I apologized over and over), and then we decided to sit down and wait to see Matthew and Kevin come rolling in. Christopher asked how we would know when they came, and I said, "Well, I'm pretty sure Matthew's going to be near the front".



Matthew's description of the kid who kept trying to pass him is pretty good. "He tried, and I just sped up, and he tried again, and I just sped up!". It was nice to see Kevin cheering Matthew on and being proud of his little brother.