Sunday, July 27, 2008

Ele's Race

So, today was Ele's Race. Suzanne's company is a major sponsor (I think her group, IT, raised over $4,000), so, we decided that the whole family would do the 5K walk/run (yeah, it's run/walk, but, walk/run reflects the Hutsell approach). So, don the t-shirts and off we go.

Race begins at 9 am, we get there 8:30ish and walk around....there are at least 10x more people here than at the Race for the House we did earlier this year. Suzanne turns in the rest of her pledges, find out that she is one of the raffle winners (coffee cup, TGIFriday gift certificates...), and get in line for the race. Horn blows, off we go.

Almost immediately, Matthew is insistent "Can I run?" "Can I run?" "Can I run?" "Can I run?"....try and try to explain to him that this isn't the Michigan Mile...he's not going to be able to run the whole way, if he runs we'll lose track of him "Can I run?" "Can I run?" "Can I run?"

Reach an agreement, I'll run with him, we'll go at my pace, and we'll stop when I want to stop. Figure I'll be dog-tired at the end of this, but, if I go a minute on and a minute walking, I'll be fine. Turns out I'm completely wrong, I'm not the one dragging, it's Matthew! I knew from the Tahq hike that Matthew tends to drag along if you get out on a longer distance, but, man, everytime we were running (and I'm certainly not moving at any world speed records!) he's the one asking to stop. Seems like some aliens have taken the Matthew I know and replaced him with an unleaded version....

Finish in about 50 minutes....Suzanne and Christopher are about 7-8 minutes behind (kudos to Aunt Christine who ran the whole way!). Went over to the kids races....both Matthew and Christopher are saying "no, no, no"....but, we succeed in getting Matthew signed up for the 1/2 mile (they said it's a 1/2 mile, give Matthew's time, I don't believe it). The aliens returned the Matthew we know at this point, he finished in 2:12, he was about 7th or 8th overall.



In other news, no word from Blue Lake....Kevin's had exceptional weather though!