Sunday, May 10, 2009

Scott’s Trek Review

Seen it twice now; figured I might as well give my take.  CAN NOT BELIEVE MY FATHER-IN-LAW HASN’T SEEN IT YET!!!  What’s up with that!?!

(could be spoilers below…..you’ve been warned)

Story:  I liked how they handled ‘wiping the slate clean’ and starting over (Suzanne rolled her eyes at another ‘time-travel’ story).  Some pretty dramatic plot changes make this a lot different than what I guess will now be called “old” Star Trek.  Didn’t really care for the new romance though….

Characters:  Gotta give them a lot of credit; if any one of those characters really didn’t nail the part it would have stood out and every one of them fit like a glove. 

Special Effects:  Too much underneath, flip around, follow the path of stuff for my taste…good, mind you, but, I like the more traditional shots better.  And didn’t think there was much of that; really enjoyed when the shots lingered on the new Enterprise, but, wish there had been like a second more each time.  Not sure that I’m crazy about the nacelles either, and that comment alone earns me my Trekkie-dork badge for the night.  Not like I already didn’t have a doctorate in that though….

Music:  Happily, am really enjoying the soundtrack. 

Best Part?:  From the time that Spock says ‘Thrusters on full” to the end of the movie is something I could watch about 50 times in a row and not get tired of it.