Monday, November 23, 2009

Felines

One of the most important things we do before we go on a trip is pet control; Wiley goes to ‘camp’ and we either arrange for someone to come and feed the cats every 2 or 3 days or leave them to fend for themselves if we’re not going to be gone long.  That was the case for the recent trip for Lloyd’s wedding.  Friday morning, as we stumble across the cats, we isolate them in the basement.  Madison and Daphne are locked down there, and we can’t find Marino.  As we leave, we figure she is still outside and leave a bowl of food and water out for here and a big bowl of food and water out inside the house for the other two. 

And off we go!

On the drive back home, I look at Suzanne and go “you know, I think I screwed up…I don’t think I opened the basement door”

Uh-oh.

Get home, get inside, and yes, I had forgotten to re-open the basement door.  This stupidity had the following results:

  • open the basement door and two cats come screaming out of there…heading straight to the food and water dishes
  • Marino, was not outside as we thought, but, inside.  And comes out, and I realize that closing the basement door had cut her off from the kitty litter.  Matthew’s bed was the guest litter box for the weekend, and, some environmental remediation activities were quickly undertaken.

If I had realized Friday that I had done this, we could have called back and had one of the neighbors check.  Since I was stupid, the cats suffered until Sunday.

I still think they are looking at me strangely today……