Sunday, November 29, 2009

Driving

Today was Kevin’s first driving lesson.

We’re loading up the Odyssey to take the boxboard and cardboard out to the recycling center…..Kevin, for about a month, has been saying, I can drive, I can drive.  And since the van is backed into the driveway, I give him the keys and say “let’s go!”

Kevin can’t believe it; I tell him we can go down to the end of the cul-de-sac and back….but he has to figure out how to do it.  He starts the car (is about to start it again and I have to point out that you don’t want to do that) and finally figures out how to take the parking brake off, but, can’t seem to move that pesky gear shift. 

Mom finally comes out, realizes what we’re doing, starts to put her hands on her head and says “has he figured out he has to have his foot on the brake?”

Kevin does figure it out at this point, and, off we go. 

We’ve learned the following things:

1)  Dad will most likely be the primary Kevin driving teacher…..just the thought of Kevin driving off turned Mom into a mess.  The lasting image of the day is when Kevin, after successfully navigating the cul-de-sac and is heading towards home decides to turn right and do the other cul-de-sac, and I look over towards the house and Mom has her head in her hands and I swear I can hear her saying “Nooooooo!”.

2)  No big surprise here, but, Kevin needs a lot of work….we’ve agreed on a reward system…he gets an A (not an A-) on a math quiz or test and I’ll take him down to a parking lot and see how he does….

The end is nigh!