Sunday, December 30, 2012

Everyone’s your friend….

 

in New York City!

 

Still a slow start out here, so, decided that, knowing it was going to be a short Saturday in the office, to hop on the train and head to NYC.

2012-12-NYC01

The station at Red Bank….I need to spend a day in Red Bank, seems like a nice little town…

2012-12-NYC02

Pictures from the train are always an iffy proposition…..but this one gives a good impression of what the day was like.  Gray gray gray…

2012-12-NYC03

and this one is a good picture of what Jersey is like north of oh, about Woodbridge.  Industrial and dirty and dungy.  Sights (sites?) like this are what keep me employed….

2012-12-NYC04

The sight as I climbed out of Penn Station…this is down 33rd street?

NYC supposed to get 2 to 4 inches of snow today; it didn’t turn out, as I walked around it was mostly sleet and that was moderately unpleasant.

2012-12-NYC05

The Garment Worker….a statue I passed on the way up to Times Square.  I was apparently walking past the Fashion Walk of Fame, all kinds of people I’ve never heard of had stars on the sidewalk…..

2012-12-NYC06

Times Square, there is camera that post the video up on one of the video walls…I’m in the picture, way in the back (or top) behind the barricade…

2012-12-NYC07

This place is going to be crazy in three nights….they are already set up for it though….

2012-12-NYC08

All kinds of cool Christmas decorations are still up; this is just north of the Fox News studios…

2012-12-NYC09

Insert Biggest Balls joke here….

2012-12-NYC10

Texted this picture to Suzanne…dark chocolate covered strawberries at Godiva

2012-12-NYC11

The tree at Rockefeller Center….I understand the wait to ice-skate was three hours!

2012-12-NYC12

Angels at the Rock….

2012-12-NYC13

After walking through Times Square and Rockefeller Center I hopped the subway over to Brooklyn……had dinner at the Radegast Bier Garden….really large German Beer Hall.  The brat on a pretzel roll was outstanding.  I guess this is the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, it is right along the East River so there are a lot of very expensive condos in this are and a lot of small boutique stores.

2012-12-NYC14

Looking south down the East River….I had a lot of time to kill before the concert…

2012-12-NYC15

…when I decided to head up to NYC, I looked to see if there were any concerts worth attending.  Saw that They Might Be Giants was playing, but, tickets were sold out.  Went to StubHub and saw they had tickets….for $6!  Can’t beat that!!  There is some symmetry here too, I went to see TMBG in concert when I was in San Diego working for FEMA…

The ticket, when I printed it out, was standing room only.  I knew it was general admission, but not SRO.  So that was a bummer.  But, turns out, the whole hall, except the really expensive seats, is SRO.  I guess that’s one way of cramming people into a small space.

The last train back to NJ (a 90 minute trip to my stop, by the way) leaves at 1 am.  I didn’t want to be up against that deadline, I was resolved to be on the 1205 am train no matter what.  Working backward, that meant I had to leave the concert by 11:20 to make sure I could navigate the subways (I had to switch trains to get to Penn Station).  But hey, ticket says 8 pm, right? 

Doors open at 8 pm.  Opening Act comes on at 9 (he is atrocious, no more will be said).  TMBG starts at 10:15.  So, $6 + fees for an hour of TMBG?  Ok, I guess.  I would have really like to hear New York City in the encores since I was there, but, oh well. 

I timed it well, made Penn Station at 11:55 and was on the train at 12:00; it left on time at 12:05.  Arrived, zombie-like, at the hotel at 1:50.