Sunday, December 15, 2013

Orchestral Recordings (In the Dark)

I often get behind on things I want to document, or save, for future reference.  One of those things that is very easy for me to get delayed on are orchestra recordings.  Because a) often my recordings suck, especially the audio and b) it takes a while to get the district’s video/audio….if I can even get it at all!

But last night I did go out and grab the video from the last few concerts  and convert what I wanted into sound files to dump into Itunes.  

First up are two pieces from the Collage Concert last March.  Only Kevin was in town; the rest of us were in Cincinnati for Matthew’s soccer tournament….and this concert is my favorite of the year so that was a bummer. 

Click on any of the pictures below for the video….

New Picture (5)

(not sure what the name of this piece is…will have to ask him.  I know he performed as part of the musical cast, but, this is the first of the Philharmonic performances….just the strings)

New Picture (6)

(and this piece closes the concert….the entire Philharmonic)

Next up is the Spring 2013 Kinawa Orchestra Concert.  Made the decision long ago to not convert video from 5th or 6th grade into audio….too simplistic and while it’s ok to hear once, it isn’t something I want to have come up randomly as I’m listening

New Picture (7)

(Matthew is the 2nd bass from the right…we just attended the winter concert…I’d say only 50-60% of these 5th grade  kids stuck with orchestra into this year; a lot of attrition to band.

  I think there are 4 or 5 different pieces of music in this video clip)

New Picture (8)

(The 6th graders…..the video guy does not do right by the basses….you get closer views of the rest of the orchestra but this is about the best shot you get of the two in the back.  Same deal here…about four or five different pieces in this one clip)

New Picture (9)

(The 7th graders from this Fall…dressed up for Halloween.  Again, the videographer does Cpher no favors.  Two pieces here, Gargoyle and Demon Dance)

New Picture (10)

(same concert…it’s worth listening to the introduction because this is the first year that the high school has had this group, a Chamber Orchestra.  This piece is La Muerte de Angel by Piozzolla)

New Picture (11)

(Each section of the Phil dressed up as a theme….and I think the violas mailed it in.  You would never be able to figure out what they are.  I guess the picture above this one shows it best…the section leader is Pac-man…everybody else is a ghost.  Lame.  There are three pieces in this video clip, Dance of the Furies, Orion and the Scorpion, and the Allegro from Mendelsohn's String Symphony #9.  Not a fan of the theatrics in the Mendelsohn…..not sure what they were going for here but it didn’t strike me as funny during the concert and it was a pain in the ass to edit it out for the audio file)