Wednesday, March 18, 2009

An Ode to Music

As I've mentioned previously, I've been slowly assimilating Melanie's music collection into my own.  I think I've finally finished....in terms of size, Itunes tells me I went from about 72 Gigs to a touch under 87 Gigs, so, a 20% increase. 

A few raves and rants are in order.

Filing - As I've discussed with Melanie, I file my music, both in Itunes and in directories on my hard drive, much like you'd find them in a music store (ok, so those are going out of business...).  So, Beatles are under B...."Beatles, The" where, Melanie's aren't, you'll find a whole host of directories that start with "The".  I realize Itunes is smart enough to skip that word now, but, once upon a time, it wasn't, and neither was Real Player, which is where I started all of my 'ripping'.

The Album Concept - If I don't think enough of a band to own the album, they aren't going to appear in my collection (unless they are in a compilation...more on that later).  And, for the most part, if I own one album, I'll try and be completist and own more of them, as long as I like them.  Which is why, much to my embarrassment, I have three (3!) Ace of Base albums.  Melanie has been merciless in only keeping the songs she likes off of albums, and hitting the delete button for the rest.  So, there's a lot of artists that Melanie has, that I like, but didn't copy, because she doesn't have the whole album. 

Chicks with Guitars - Way too much of this. 

French Movie Soundtracks - Not enough of this.  Might have to watch the movies with Suzanne just to listen to the music......

Various Artists - Another frustrating experience with Melanie's filing system.  Melanie has imported these types of albums so that the songs fall under the artist names; Scott has them all under the album names and, sometimes manually, puts the artist names in the song title.  Again, if I'm looking for "Billboards Hits of the Eighties" in the store, I'm looking in the various artists category, not under each artists names.   I guess Itunes makes sense of it, but, finding the Abba albums under the Compilations directory made no sense to me....