Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Vegas Day 4

First, a leftover from Day 3….when I was typing I was asking myself “what did we do after Penn & Teller” and I knew it had to be something…but couldn’t remember.

I did have Iphone video reminding me.  Kathy and David hadn’t seen the Treasure Island Siren show, so, we went over there.  Remember the part about show with lights and scantily clad dancers?  Video of the last minute of the show is here.  The sirens have sunk the pirates ship, and the pirates have swam to the siren ship, and well, what happens in Vegas…you know. 

Day 4 (Monday) began with Suzanne and I heading out to Roberto’s Taco Shop for breakfast.  Simply put, Roberto’s is the best Mexican fast food, ever….I think Roberto’s may have been a food group for Suzanne in college, neatly sliding in between the meat and the grains.  Our trips to San Diego have always included a few strategic stops for cheese quesadillas and tacos….the worst part of my FEMA stay for Suzanne was when my answer to “What did you have for lunch?” was “Roberto’s”.   I have to go back to West Palm Beach later this month….there are a few Roberto’s location in South Florida and I forgot about that last time, but, am looking forward to calling Suzanne and telling her what I’m having for lunch (or dinner). 

Roberto’s has expanded away from San Diego, and there are multiple locations in Las Vegas, and the last time we were there we found them, and of course, this time, we found them as well.  Had a chorizo burrito that Suzanne liked so much she ate about 1/2 of mine!

2009-09-30 001

The fountain at the Palazzo in front of the main parking drop-off area.

Spent the afternoon doing some gambling and shopping.  Shopping included procuring some Webkinz for some little boys (and the Fame soundtrack for Kevin).  Gambling was mostly video poker….was saving table games for later that evening.  Ended up strolling through the Venetian Shoppes, which is always fun, shops on either side with gondolas in the middle and the opera shows.  Took some video of one of those shows, you can find it here.

2009-09-30 006

There was a store that featured art by Tom Everhart, who is the only licensed artist to reproduce Peanuts characters…and they look great!

The evening’s entertainment was Jersey Boys.  The funniest thing for me was that, after all day commenting on Suzanne’s age (Day 4 was the birthday!) almost everyone in the audience was clearly older than us (I challenged Suzanne at intermission to find a couple that was younger than us…it took her walking out of the auditorium and back in to find them.)

 2009-09-30 005

The hallway leading into the auditorium had record covers and other memorabilia….took a few pictures; this was the only one that turned out well.

The show was phenomenal; Suzanne asked me later which of the three shows I like the most, and it’s hard to compare Love and Jersey Boys to Penn & Teller, but, I liked Jersey Boys more than Love (I mean, it’s A++ compared to A+). 

Closed out the evening with a trip back to Mon Ami Gabi for dinner with Suzanne’s sister and then walked back down to the Palazzo for some last night gambling.  Had saved table games for the last night because I didn’t really want to go nuts early and have regrets all through the trip, and happily, did pretty well.  Doubled my money ($100) playing craps, made $50 at blackjack, and, while not quite wiping out the deficit created by video poker, Star Trek, and some poor football choices (almost hit a 4-team NFL Parlay except that I had this stupid crazy faith in the DOLPHINS….but, they lost their starting QB at the beginning of the 2nd half and that was all she wrote…).  So, finished on a good note, and made it back to the room around 1 am…..to get up at 5 am to get to the airport to go home.