Saturday, May 1, 2010

Data sadness

Got the news back from the Geek Squad today; seems pretty unlikely that we’ll be able to recover anything off of that hard drive.

I had resolved myself to the high cost of recovery, but, not so much to the prospect of years of video and pictures being lost forever.  So, it’s a pretty disheartening day, where I’m left trying to find the bright side of things.

Video:  Thankfully, I started this blog right about the time I really started videotaping, so, as I taped and edited I uploaded.  And all of that video is still around.  Now, it’s not in the same resolution (if you upload 20M of video to One True Media, you probably end up downloading 1-2 M), and that’s not great, but, right now, the phrase “better than nothing” is important.  I will be spending the weekend out at One True Media and Shutterfly downloading the video I’ve uploaded over time.  There are some things I had digital (El Paso video, Rasefske’s) that now I only have on DVD as well….

Photos: The loss here isn’t as great as I might have thought either….anything important that was digital has been sent up to Shutterfly long ago and we can get that back, but, not at the same resolution, and, if we really need that, we can order the photo and have it printed and it will be close.  A while back Suzanne went through an effort to print a lot of those Shutterfly photos, so, at least we have them in that archaic “hard-copy” photo and anything in the last year probably survived completely intact. 

Music:  The thing I could care about the least is the thing I lost nothing of…mostly because I use it the most and had just done a backup or transfer about 2 weeks before the crash happened.

Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid Stupid.  Will never buy a Seagate hard drive again!