Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Look at me…I can be….centerfield

“Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes;
You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride.
Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all - a moment in the sun;
(pop) it’s gone and you can tell that one goodbye!”

As the long and tortured soccer season grinds to a close baseball season begins to kick in to gear.  Last year, we had the boys on the same team, and while that was a long season, it’s not nearly as bad as this year, when they are now on different teams, and there is a practice or game every night for the most part until the end of June.

Christopher had his first practice on Monday….he was very vocal and upset that we signed him up for baseball again and I had told myself if we got there and he didn’t know anyone on the team I would be all for bailing out if that’s what he wanted to do.

Of course, we’re walking out, he looks at me and tells me he had fun.  Again(!), no one from his school and grade on the team (although I did see one other classmate on another team).  He did know over half the team though from other places, so, that was good. 

This year is the first year of kid-pitch…..I watched most of practice to see how the big guy did and it’s pretty clear that pitching won’t be his strength (and that’s the whole problem…he doesn’t have a lot of velocity on his throws…).   But, he was doing a much better job than I would have though snagging fly balls so that’s a good sign.  They did no hitting at all at practice yesterday so we’ll see how that turns out.

Will provide a Matthew update after his practices start; today’s was rained out.