Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Euthanasia

The cats are not making me very happy recently; they are doing the usual cull from the wild, but, they aren’t finishing the job, leaving it up to me to dispatch the small animals.  This leaves me feeling sad and guilty.  Holly is more than glad to step up on this disposal front; most mornings now are a race to find the ‘stuff’ and get rid of it before she does.

Event numero uno:  The night of the family fun fair I got home about 45 minutes after the family; not sure what went on before I got home, but, I walked upstairs and found Marino next to this furry…thing.  A momentary thought was “what kid toy was this” before I realized it was a junior rabbit (I called it a baby back then; I need to save that distinction for the next paragraph).  Drop what I’m doing and try and find something to get Bugs out of the house before the kids figure out what is going on……pick up the bunny and trudge outside.

You, the reader, may be asking what comes next?  How do you dispose of almost-dead animals?  Is one method more humane than others?  Take a moment…think of your options…….

Dead animals that are discovered outside our home are unceremoniously dumped in the storm grate on the street out front….this method completely removes the remains from where Wiley and Holly could get at it.  Had a second thought about going this route this time, but, in the end, figured the 8 foot drop and the water at the bottom was a cleaner way out than suffering in the trashcan. 

Event numero dos:  The last two nights I’ve opened the door to find the remains of these gray…things.  Not sure what they are, they've been chewed up enough that I can’t figure it out.  Trudge out to the street…end of problem.  I’m mowing the yard today and notice that in the next ‘row’ over that I’m about to mow there’s another one of these items.  Shut off the lawnmower, get the shovel, look down, see little ears, realize that these things are actually baby baby bunnies….not a hair on them.  Scoop the shovel down and get a huge surprise…this one is completely alive and starts crying in distress.

Can’t let it go, can I?  Nope, no mom around, this thing will just end up on the front porch within 24 hours.  Can’t really stop what I’m doing….boys are on the other side of the yard and having them see this is not an option….I don’t need the drama of having to explain there is no other option.

Splash goes the bunny at the bottom of the manhole.  The cats better improve the follow through soon!