Friday, May 27, 2011

Canton Cup Preview

If I’ve discovered anything about the kids sports, I’ve discovered this…..I’m a little(!) obsessive about doing internet research of opponents and past opponents.  So, this post is a product of my obsession; a preview of the three games we have coming up this weekend in the tournament.  If we win our group, we get a fourth game, the final against the other group winner.

This tournament is huge…..775 teams are entered.  There are eight different divisions of U9 boys teams; we are placed in the 2nd best grouping.  I think we are a solid group on offense and defense but we don’t have a regular goalie who can make the difference in a game…..and hope that doesn’t come back to bite us this weekend.

Anyway, on to the scouting report: 

Michigan Tigers – Our first opponent.  Undefeated in their spring league and won a tournament in Ohio a few weeks back.  Look to be pretty formidable.  Trying to find a bright side, they didn’t play in the highest grouping in that tournament (out of 3, they choose the middle).  I think this game will be our toughest.  Can’t seem to find any common opponents to compare against….

Carpathia Kickers – Our second opponent.  Google stalking, I think, shows that they aren’t even the best U9 team at their club…..I’m guessing this isn’t going to bode well for them against us, since we are the best U9’s in our club and draw from a larger area.  They play the Tigers Friday night and then play us (our first game) Saturday morning, so, we should have an idea of where things stand after that first game.

Chill – The other travel team from Lansing…..there aren’t a lot of intra-club games because we are in different leagues throughout Michigan.  I’m looking forward to this game, the other parents are looking forward to it, and I think by the time we get to this game on Saturday afternoon the boys will be pretty amped up for it as well.  Just have a hard time seeing us lose this game…..they haven’t been playing the same level of competition as us.  Hope that I’m not proven wrong here….