Saturday, May 7, 2011

Spring Soccer – Game 2

It hasn’t been a great spring, weather-wise, for soccer so far……Game 1 was freezing cold and cloudy; Game 2 was cancelled due to soggy fields and when rescheduled it was nicer, but, the sun disappeared before the game even started and it certainly cooled off quite a bit.

Today was maybe the best day of the spring…..bright sun, temps almost up to 70 degrees, I’m thinking it will be a great day.  The other coach and I even joke about it.

So, of course, it ends up we finish the game in the driving rain with hail pelting us.  We come away with the win, 4-3. 

I need to circle back to the basketball posts, where it was obvious that Christopher was getting more than his fair share of playing time (and that meant that other kids were getting less).  I’ve been consistent throughout my time as a coach….I do my best to balance things.  But, the long drive home today had me come to the sad, but necessary, decision that I have to have Christopher on the field less and less now (and I’m going to start that in tomorrow’s game).  Not playing soccer throughout the winter has really hurt the big guy, and he was pretty much the culprit in two of the three goals scored against us (Matthew was in goal…..Christopher did a great job of screening Matthew so that he couldn’t see the ball coming in….which would be good if we were playing hockey and he was on the other team, but, not so much for us).  Hopefully he’ll come out tomorrow and amaze me and force me tor reconsider this as the game goes on.0020

Matthew gave up all three of our goals….he didn’t play bad in goal and actually did a great job of distributing the ball out to the offense; he was a big reason we jumped out to a 3-0 lead.  I don’t think he had a chance on the two goals Cpher didn’t handle very well, and the other one was tough as well.  He was a whirling dervish on offense in the 2nd half…..I’m not sure he had a shot that the goalie stopped but he passed and dribble and created so many opportunities…a good game for him.  Mom has promised Five Guys for a goal; Matthew is still in a burger-drought.