Saturday, April 11, 2009

Christmas in April

You may remember the best of my Christmas presents.  Finally got around to beginning the work on *my* present today.  Mounted the one 2’x10’ beam, and dug holes and poured concrete for the three 4’x4’ posts.  We’ll let the concrete cure over night, and tomorrow maybe we’ll try and get the posts in place and the joists started. 

The drive from Niceville to Okemos yesterday was uneventful; although I really need to quit driving through tornado warnings without knowing they are going on….not sure how to address that.  It rained, hard, for about 45 minutes north of Nashville, and I think I was north of the tornados, but, definitely need to figure out the notifications when I’m listening to satellite radio.

Haven’t mentioned yet here that I’m trying (and it’s a slow slow slow slow process) to get to the point where I can do a 5K this year.  Started the work towards that in Florida….went with all the boys once and went with Kevin twice and ran/walked the 1.5 Turkey Creek nature walk.  The first time with the boys was interesting; Christopher stayed with me as I did my 60 seconds running 60 seconds walking and was pretty supportive; sadly, he had no interest in coming back the other two times.  Kevin, obviously, is running at his pace which is so much more faster than mine as to be incomprehensible.  I’ve slowly started to increase my first run without stopping on each successive run and am slowly trying to increase to 90 seconds and longer running with 60 second walking rests.  The first 5K I’ll try is on 4/26 and I have no illusions that I’ll be able to finish it running but, with running and walking hope to finish to make this inequality correct (wasn’t going to express it this way, but, figured Melanie would enjoy it!)

Dad’s time < Kevin’s time * 2

Today’s run was longer (Turkey Creek is 1.5 miles round trip, the run to Bennett Woods is about 2 miles) and featured some changes….running with a springer spaniel (who probably wondered why the heck we were doing this, but, did pretty well considering) and the trip back from Bennett Woods is up-freakin’-hill almost all of the way.  Ugh.