Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baseball – Week 2 Update

I had the thought to update after each set of games, but, the games just come too frequently for that.

Matthew:  I missed his game last Thursday and he was rained out on Tuesday.  Text updates were scarce on the Thursday since I was in the air but the report was that Matthew hit and fielded the ball well.

Christopher:   Rained out on Friday.  Had 5 at-bats on Monday (the first game of his I’ve been able to see) and he struck out the first two times at the plate.  He then had three extremely solid hits, 2 singles and a double, to close the game out.  It’s funny, with the kids pitching to each other, perversely, the better the opposing pitcher the better the team hits against him; Christopher’s troubles the first two at bats were with a pitcher who was really wild and struggled to get the ball over the plate.

I got to Wednesday’s game late; Christopher had popped/lined out (Suzanne reports he hit a rocket to the outfield BUT it was right at the outfielder) and had a hit before I arrived.  Should point out here that hits that carry in the air to the outfield are extremely few and far between and tend to result in home runs (if not caught.  Grrrr!)  He was in the field at 2nd base as I sat down and proceeded to record 2 of the 3 outs in the inning, one on a grounder he backhanded(!) and then ran to 2nd for the force.  I’ve been really surprised/impressed with how he’s been focusing and under-standing the game….no hesitation at 2nd on where to go and what to do.  Pretty awesome!  He had one at bat while I was there and hit the ball hard right back to the pitcher….you’re out

Had a makeup game Friday that I honestly don’t remember a thing about (that includes whether I took video or not that night as well!).  It’s not necessarily relevant to Friday’s game but it has happened in every game since….he’s chasing pitches high pitches a lot (they are at his forehead and above) and we have to remind him to wait for the good ones.