Sunday, January 18, 2015

JWH: Memorabilia Post One

A large does of “Why am I doing this?” leaps to mind as I scanned some of the things in for this post; I just don’t care about a good portion of it.  But Dad did…and they are pictures of him, and some of the pictures made me go “wow” so, here goes

Photo Album:  Or maybe I should call this a scrapbook?   Only found two photo albums; the one that shows up below is from his second tour of duty in Germany and obviously someone was nice enough to make it for him as he was on his way back to the United States. 

JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum02

JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum01

JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum03

(ok, this was not part of the photo album….he had this photo slid inside the photo album…)

 JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum04

(Also not part of the album.  I’ve had this photo for a while….inside my box of elementary school certificates and such…)

JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum05

(first of the photos I rescued from the scrapbook…)

 JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum06

 JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum07

JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum08

(the first of the ‘wow’ photos; he had a soccer ball on the top of his entertainment center that I guess the team had signed…but pictures of Dad shooting on goal?  Wow.  Pretty serious toe ball here though…)

 JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum09

 JWH - GermanPhotoAlbum10

(and no glasses…..)

The Knick-Knacks:  I only have three bins of items from the house; the rest of this bin is framed photos of the boys that we’ve sent him over the years, books from his Aunt(?) that date from the early 1900’s that we’ll get to later, the photo albums, and some small items…..

JWH - Blocks 

(Ah, the blocks.  And the little clown men.  These were hidden behind a picture frame above the TV in the entertainment center.  Gave the jolly green clown man to Melanie but kept the blue one and the JWGH III block.)

 JWH - Compunetix

(Also in the bin were two small notebooks.  One had his notes on the German language…some translated words, some verb conjugations, some receipts and etc.  The other looked to be work notes; this postcard from the last employer and a very old Ohm’s law slide calculator that I’ll hang on to for a while)

JWH - Michelsbrau

(Kevin ‘repossessed’ the mug that he brought back from his trip to Germany and gave Dad; I took one down to Atlanta and I kept this one.  It is, as far as German beer steins go, remarkably plain.)

 JWH - Passwords

(the aforementioned notebook….with his passwords recorded from 2004 through 2005)