Thursday, January 8, 2015

2001 Chevy Blazer

Much like the house, I was dreading the inside of the car as well.  Unlike the house, the car met everyone of my expectations.  It was dirty, smoky, and nasty.  Efforts to get it detailed before the drive home were unsuccessful.

IMG_4475

There is one good thing…the car has no mileage on it, only 50K.  That’s half of our two cars!  But I had a hell of a time getting it started for the first time….it had only sat for 5 days!  Finally coughed and spit to life….I let it run and run as Operation Cleanout began. Told Kevin we would be taking this beast out on the Parkway to convince myself it would make the trip back to Michigan in one piece.

One of the funnier Dad observations was watching him put on and take off THE CLUB from the steering wheel at every meeting…..he was certainly concerned that someone might take this ride and I can’t imagine anyone wanting this car!  So, after getting it started, I remove the club (for the last time).  Also remove the seat covers he had placed on both front seats…..nasty nasty nasty.  

The car is only 2-doors, and, the more I’ve thought about it, is about perfect for two teenage boys who soon will be driving.  I don’t think he has had those back seats in an upright position in years….in fact, I’d bet money that nobody but Dad has ever sat in this car.   US Army sticker on the side; Marine ribbon and US Army sticker on the back.  4 pins placed above the temperature readout in the center of the car; alternating Army shields and US flags.  Access to the back is a pain in the ass; swing the spare tire out of the way, pop the window, then lower the gate.

IMG_4478

We get the car out on the Parkway and I floor it…..turns out 20 minutes of freeway driving is just what this thing needed!  Got some amusement on the drive to Warren from Pittsburgh Wednesday night from watching bits of leaves and other debris come out of the grill as the winds and shaking on the Turnpike grabbed them and shook them loose.  After sitting for 2 plus weeks over Christmas and with the temperature rocking about 10 degrees when we got home, the Blazer started right up.

One troubling note….the check engine light is on. This astonishes me…..I found Dad’s folder of Blazer records and he always has taken this thing to the dealership!  Last visit was in July….what could be the problem now?  Doesn’t seem to be a problem as I’ve been driving around but I need to go by an auto store and figure out what the message means.

Will need to invest in a new stereo….one of the speakers is blown out (Dad jamming to Marc Cohn….that was one of the CD’s in the car) and if myself and the boys are going to become primary drivers having something that has satellite radio and a port for the Iphone is a must.

Oh yeah, there is some body damage on the driver-side door….need to get an estimate on that as well.  Door doesn’t seal properly now….more road noise and the legs get a little chilly during the drive.