Wednesday, January 14, 2015

JWH – The Music: CDs

The records Kevin rescued sit in two piles in the basement; my task (if I choose to go down that road) is to convert them to MP3’s before he sorts out what he is going to do with them this summer.  And possibly write a more detailed post about them.

Grabbed all of Dad’s CD’s on this last trip down.  There are less of them and they are easier to deal with; ripping them into MP3’s won’t take more than a day or two and Kevin will take them to FBC along with the records when he is done.

Not surprising:  4 discs each of John Denver, Roy Orbison, Patsy Cline, and Jimmy Buffett (since Kevin didn’t know who Buffett was when we hit the original Margaritaville in Key West this works out…).  Dire Straits (a band I will always identify with Dad), Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Beck….way more Blues than I ever would have guessed. 

Surprising:  5 CD’s by Garbage.  I’d be hard pressed to recognize a Garbage song (ok, I had to go Google it, I’m well familiar with Stupid Girl).  But 5 CD’s??   Two are singles, and even that seems strange.  Just grabbed everything he could find by Garbage at one point?  And very little C&W; EmmyLou Harris and Patsy is about it. 

The Majority:  I’d guess the classical discs were 70% of the collection.  Kevin and I are happy with that;  fans of “Russian and Romantic” seems to be passed down genetically.  Shostakovich’s Fifth Symphony is another piece I identify with Dad that, surprisingly, wasn’t one of the CD’s in the collection.  He did have a copy of Brahms Symphony #2; notable only because it is the next masterpiece the Northeastern Symphony Orchestra is tackling and I did not have it. 

The Repeats:  He only had four disks that I already owned.   Best of Fleetwood Mac, Best of Bryan Adams, Marc Cohn, and Classical Wynton.