Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Last Drive to Michigan

Travelled back down to Penn Hills to be there as the estate clean-out company takes everything away.  Need to also go and get the title and registration switched over and collect JWH’s remains from the funeral home.

The auto stuff is a bust…I need the title, and I did NOT find that in any of the paperwork.  I assumed PA keeps it (which is how they do it in MI) but no…..order a new one and with that I should be able to do what I need to do here at home.

Sunday the clean-up crew arrives. They are in and out in 2 hours; I am impressed with how they are sorting through everything and frankly astonished at what they think might have value and what might not.  Completely disassemble the entertainment center where I would have thought they would have taken it as one whole unit.  Don’t take the chemical products (anything in a bottle basically) and won’t take the old TV…..I will have to take that to a recycling place.  Would love to know how much value they think they salvaged but figure that is just another question I’ll never know the answer too…..

Sad moment #1 – standing in the empty house.  Sigh. 

2015-01-DadHouseBedroom01 2015-01-DadHouseBedroom02

(bedroom.  I especially enjoyed the ceiling fan…I assume one ‘fan’ broke off and the other one was removed for balance issue)

 2015-01-DadHouseKitchen01 2015-01-DadHouseKitchen02

(kitchen)

2015-01-DadHouseLivingRoom01 2015-01-DadHouseLivingRoom02

(living room)

Monday morning after the trip to AAA I head over to Blawnox to pick Dad up for the trip home.  This should be a quick deal, but, I’ve come to realize any interaction with the funeral home is not quick.  They want you to come in, sit down, be comfortable, etc.  I would have been just as happy if they had a drive-thru. I have to sign for him (YOU HAVE INSPECTED AND CONFIRMED THE REMAINS YOU HAVE SIGNED FOR MATCH THE NAME ABOVE) and that is about that.  But Dad’s friend had arranged, because he was in the American Legion, for a flag to be given to me, and, as I’m leaving, they hand me the flag and that’s that.

Dad is heavier than I expected him to be.  Which I guess is funny in some ways but is the truth….didn’t expect the box to weigh as much as it did.

Sad moment #2 – carrying the flag to the Blazer.

Crossed back into Michigan around 2:15 pm.  He’ll wait for late spring or early summer for the trip west.  

2015-01-FlagHome